Fuel filter removal

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by rangerider, Feb 20, 2009.

1. rangerider

rangerider shadetree

I have a Ford quick disconnect tool and know how to use it.
    But as hard as I try I can not get the front line to disconect from the fuel filter. After me I had the guys at the oil change give it a shot.
    No deal..

I have been resisting the instinct to just cut it off...but don't know how much longer I can resist..... :mad:

I ideas??

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Bill

Bill New Member

Am assuming the quick disconnect is of the full garter spring type. I find myself as I am pulling on the fuel line I tend to pull on the tool also. Not good, push the tool toward the line as you pull on the fuel line away from the filter. We have to keep the tool pressed against the beading of the filter so the spring will go over it. Another problem I have is noticed is the line has to come out straight not at any angle what so ever.

4. OP
    rangerider

rangerider shadetree

Thanks Bill
    I have changed these filters dozens...nay hundreds of times.
    Have had some minor problems before but nothing like this.

I'll either cut and splice or replace....or.....AUGH have the dealer deal with it.

5. Bill

Bill New Member

AUGH, I hear you, good luck. The spring must be damaged. Something is wack O.

6. OP
    rangerider

rangerider shadetree

WACK O for sure... I let you know the outcome.

7. OP
    rangerider

rangerider shadetree

Must have been there a long time. even after I surgically removed it I could not get it off the line..like it was rust welded on.