Front Valance Options / Swaps?

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by corradokid05, Apr 7, 2013.

1. corradokid05

corradokid05 New Member

Hey all,
    This is my first post, as I just inherited my Uncles 95 Ranger XL 5spd w/ 125k miles. Moving it from Jersey to Philly. I am new to the ford scene, but not to the truck, custom and auto forum side of things. I am looking to just do a few tastefull upgrades to this Ranger, as I am never a fan of having the same old truck as everybody else on the road.

That being said, I am trying to dig up options to swap out the front bumper valance. I tried to search here and all over the net, but can't seem to find many 100% answers on many options. I'm sure the round fog light valance from the same generation of Rangers will fit... but what are some other direct fit options? Any other generation ranger or explorer valances fit perfect... or with little modding?

Any insight would be great, and pics of completed swaps would also be appreciated. Once I get all info in, I plan to update this post with the compiled list of options with detail and pics if possible. That way, anyone else wondering the same thing will find a full list like I was looking for.

Thanks ahead! Lets see 'em. Details and year/generation info would be great.

Pic here of the truck on pickup day. A little dirty, but a very straight truck.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

My understanding is all Gen3 valences bolt to all Gen3 valences. Here's a quick picture of a LMC truck catalog page regarding valences...

[​IMG]

You can also update/upgrade it to the higher models like the XLT with an updated grille...

[​IMG]

Wheels are a given...you can find those anywhere. How about some upgraded headlamps?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/93-97-Ford-...ht-Lamps-Clear-Reflector-Corner-/310646640916
    [​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1997-F...ht-Lamps-Clear-Reflector-Corner-/290893831987
    [​IMG]

White with chrome accents looks good....White with black accents look good. Just gotta pick a theme and go from there!

Welcome to the site and don't hesitate to ask questions and post pictures of your progress!!

Shane

4. OP
    corradokid05

corradokid05 New Member

Hey Shane,
    Thanks for your reply and photos. Couple questions from it.. .

(1) Looks like we are stuck with only the (2) 3rd gen valance options? Any other model valances work at all that you know of? Explorer... etc?

(2) Am I able to roll back my grill to an earlier gen 3 model? Kinda digging the 93-94 with attached upper molding no. 2 (with the emblem at the top, not center). Id assume being the same generation that they are the same size/shape and mounts?

(3) Thanks for the headlight options... have been considering a change there too, but I've seen some terrible clear/euro style headlights and I like a to keep a modded/stock look as much as I can, so I'll have to keep my eyes out to see them in real life to decide.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

You are limited to just a few valances, BUT take a look at LMC catalog for the bumper mounting points. You may be able to swap a newer style bumper with a valance on to your truck. Also check LMC exploded diagrams of the grille mounting points as well to see if you can pull off the swap.

6. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

As far as valences go, you're stuck to what mounts to the bumper above it...pretty much stuck to 93-97 valences for a 93-97 bumper.

BUT, I have seen a few guys swap on Gen2 (95-01) Explorer bumpers on their Gen3 Rangers....and they look great! Of course this requires the entire bumper and I imagine some modification of the mounting brackets, but you'll get a unique look that not many have...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I honestly haven't a clue. I see the differences with the "ears" of the 93-94 and the 95-97. Could be as simple as drilling new holes for clips...or the clips could all be the same. It's been so long since I've done work to a Gen3...can't help ya much there.

That's the hard part...seeing them in the wild! Best bet is to thumb through Google Images and this and other Ranger related forums to get an idea on how they'd look. There's literally tens and tens of different headlamps and corner lamps out there. I'm willing to bet your fluted lenses are yellowing some. Getting clear lenses (legit crystal clear lenses) would greatly improve light output. There's more conservative choices out there, but you've just gotta find what you like! I'm a fan of stockish and clean. No added LED garbage that just looks tacky.

Best place to find lamps and lenses would be eBay. Quality ends up being pretty high and price ends up being affordable. Take a looksee!

7. OP
    corradokid05

corradokid05 New Member

Hey All,
    Thanks so much for the replys. I think first step will be to try and roll back to the 93-94 grill. I'd assume it will fit with only minor drilling if any (like shane said). Next i'll keep my eyes out for a cheap used explorer bumper so that if it's too much modding I don't have much out of pocket on er.

I love to get down and dirty in projects, but unfortunately right now I live in the city and have no where to leave the truck "sit" for a while while I work on it. Only option is the street.

Thanks again for your input. I'll be sure to post any mods and DIY's I end up doing for all to enjoy.

Cheers :thumbup:
    Rich

8. mfernandes

mfernandes Simply...FORD

I want the #5 valance but i cant find it anywhere!!!! Damn I love those!!!!

9. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

10. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

11. mfernandes

mfernandes Simply...FORD

12. Nathaniel Buchanan

Nathaniel Buchanan New Member

If I was going to do the Gen 2 Explorer Front Valence swap on my Ranger, where would I buy and oem one?

Below is a picture of one that has been swapped.

Attached Files: