Ford Ranger Work Truck Model

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeanMk, May 15, 2012.

1. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

This was a barely advertised version of the Ranger, that featured the frame from the 4x4, but was sold as a 2wd only.
    Apparently that frame was more stout than the standard frame and increased the reliability of the truck, under harsh use.
    I became aware of this model back around 2000, when a friend was looking for a new truck and was considering this model.
    Other than the different frame, I know nothing about this model but am curious about it.
    Know anything about this model? Post away!

Dean

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger -Skylark65-

sounds like the trailhead and later the edge package trucks. i always thought it was geared more towards making the truck look like a 4x4 without the cost of the actuall T-case, front diff parts. i think black mamba on here got one as a DD...

4. doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

same as the edge/sport trim packages from the sounds of it. those are the 4x4 frame but only 2wd drive train. the work truck model might have a cheap interior like a ranger xl has though. i've never seen one in person.

5. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

i used to have have, mine have vinyl floors, manual everything, just a 12v on the radio bezel, cassette radio, cloth 60/40 seats, no tilt, solid rear window, no a/c, it was extreme basic

6. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Sounds like the '00 Trailhead trim package.

The Trailhead was only offered in '00. It had a 4x4 frame and suspension (torsion bars), but was lacking a front differential and transfer case. Was only offered in regular cab. I do not know if all were 6' bed or if 7' was an option on the package. Exterior looked just like a base model XL with painted bumpers and 2wd grille shell. Though some rolled off the line taking the appearance of a 2wd XLT (chrome bumpers, chrome 2wd grille). Inside it was a mid model package set between the XL and XLT... vinyl flooring(xl), cloth seats(xlt), if it had power options, it got XLT power panels but if non-power, it got the basic XL panels. Came standard with the 3.0 and optional 4.0.

The Trailhead later turned into the '01 2wd EDGE. Which later turned into the Sport. Exterior changed to painted bumpers, grilles and flares. Interior carried over from the Trailhead with the XL/XLT mixture of components. Engine choices also carried over. Edge however was offered in Xcab as well....and all Edges were 6' bed.

If we were to compare it to any other brand truck out there, it would be the Toyota Tacoma PreRunner package.

7. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

all this can be had on a Edge/Sport model, even the AC is an option in 2011 on the sport.

8. OP
    DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Crap! Maybe that's what I was thinking of.
    The posts reminded me that my friend also told me that he was informed (by the Ford salesman who originally told him about this model) that the model was originally commissioned for use by the US Forest service, but Ford liked the idea so much, they offered it to the general public.
    The truck was meant to be rather plain. I only remember 3 colour options - white and two others (Black and Red? Red and Blue?).
    Anyway, yeah, "Trailhead". That must've been it.
    Apologies for the misquote of the model name.
    Thanks for the help, people. You guys rock!:thumbup:

Dean

9. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

ummmmmmm... LOLWUT?

According to my 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Ranger sales brochures, the only Ranger to not have standard Air Conditioning is the XL model. And in that it was optional. '01 was the first year for standard A/C in Edge and XLT models. A/C was optional in all '98-00 Ranger models. That about as far back as my factual knowledge goes.

10. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

A little info I found here: PickupTruck.com - 2000 Ford Ranger Profile

11. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Kind of hard to believe but very plausible. I like to think of it (the Trailhead) and the eventual Edge and Sport models being Ford's answer to the Tacoma PreRunner and later, Prerunner Sport.

I've seen just about every color available in '00 on a Trailhead. The very minimal color choices were on the XL trucks (white, black, red)...but even then, every color shot on a Ranger has found their way onto a Fleet Truck(XL trucks).

Ah no worrys man... no need to apoligize! Asking questions and learning is what these type of sites are all about!

Welcome to the site.

12. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

well i know they had a ranger package that was just ranger, it was cheaper then the xl