Electrical Problem

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by David DelReal, Dec 31, 2019.

1. David DelReal

David DelReal New Member

I have a 2002 ford ranger xlt. Initially I was trying to solve a problem with the instrument illumination lights. Fuse 11 looks good but replaced it anyhow. Light bubs OK. I've replaced the headlight and dimmer switches. Looked at the ground box under drivers side... looks good, no rust or loose wires.

After all that I decided to test all the fuses with a test light with the ignition switch on. I found that fuses 3,7,24, 28,and 33 had no power. I then removed the fuses and test each connector. Still no power, seems very odd???
    The devises these fuses are supposed to fuse all worked, headlights, radio, clutch pedal position, etc. What could be the problem??? My testing light is ok because when I test all other fuses they tested OK. Help please!!!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Sean McG

Sean McG New Member

Yes odd is a correct response.
    I am not the guru of electrical issues but I thought I would reply anyway. Is there a chance that the fuse panel (generally located on the passenger side kickplate wall area) could have been replaced or updated? If so that could explain why the "faulty" fuses in these locations do not match the circuits they are labelled for.
    One would think that all Rangers in a generation series would have the same parts. However when I went to replace my turn signal relay, I was blown away at the number of options for my model year. It is almost as if they use up older year parts before moving on to the correct model year. (I think this is the process with many manufacturers but not 100% certain.) So now I have a relay that is a fast flasher but matches the part number I removed. Just an example.
    Anyway I am not one for electrical advice but you might do a continuity test on one of the faulty fuse recepticles to see if the fuse # matches the circuit. Good luck, keep us informed.

4. Rangers Raiders

Rangers Raiders New Member

I have an 02 XLT w/ 160k miles, and instrument lighting problems came with it when I bought it five years ago. Fuel gauge light is out...I just assumed it is the bulb? Never checked any fuses. Also the oil pressure gauge (or sender..or both) whacked out and the needle overwrapped and sits against the opposite side of the peg. Supposedly the needle can be unwrapped using a magnet to drag it aroound but I've not had any luck with it.

5. PatsLayla155

PatsLayla155 New Member

Have you figured out the issue with no power to these fuses?

6. Calvinvow

Calvinvow New Member

YOU YOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOUYOU