Electrical Issue, Battery, Alternator, etc

Discussion in '4.0 Engine' started by TurdFX4, Nov 7, 2012.

1. TurdFX4

TurdFX4 Schuylkill Countys Finest

I took my truck down to my storage shed and I parked at the gas station and let it run for the 3 minutes I was in there. Came out and my battery light was on. I let the truck run for maybe 20 minutes while I was cutting the exhaust off of my '94. On my way home, I lost almost everything, tach, heat, wipers, radio etc... made it into my town and lost power steering and the truck died. I had a brand new battery at my house so I put that in to limp the truck home. I assumed it was the alternator. I took it out and took it to advance auto and they tested and they said it was fine.

He had mentioned that there is a white/black wire going to a plug on the alternator that basically tells the alternator when i kick on and charge. He said that on fords, this wire is known to crack.

I put everything back together and took it for a ride and it started doing it again. Im thinking of just changing the alternator and be done with it because the truck has 132k on it and either way, its probably gonna go soon anyways

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I would say alternator as well, but that should still be ok. Check the plugs to the alternator, some DO crack, but some will actually melt.