driveline problems, EVAP problems

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by SalRanger2, Sep 7, 2012.

1. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

well today i noticed that once i go over 50 mph in gear and underpower (so staying at speed or accel.), i get wicked like road noise from the rear of the truck. if you push the clutch in and coast it goes away. its LOUD though, almost reminds me of having no exhaust or big mudder tires kinda. any ideas???

and fwiw, i have like a slight "shudder" to the truck accelerating around 5-20 mph. almost more driveline related than engine.

also, got a CEL at the same time p0442, evap system leak. at the auto parts store they said it usually is the gas cap, but i havent touched it in a week. my guess is one of the filler neck hoses??? theyre pretty rusty and ****ty.

any answers would be helpful.
    thank you!!!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

4. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

thanks for the reply
    yea i just checked the u joints and rear diff. last week that they were great. we even put it on a jack in the rear and drove it and the rear sounded fine then. (had other issues i thought were the rear-end but werent)

thanks for the link, thats what first came to mind to me since they look really rough. but yea like you said there are alot of other possibilities

5. with a shudder generally is a clutch or pressure plate issue

6. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

i was actually just talking with my dad about this issue and he mentioned that. possibly the start of a problem?

also, im going to go for a drive and open my rear window and see if the rear end is for sure making the noise in the back. was pouring rain earlier lol

7. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

well after taking it for a ride im not too sure its the rear-end... its like the vibration is going right through the cab making all the noise.. what could it be if its the trans?

8. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

i hope its not what i just had to go thru... had to tear down the rearend and replace the bearing on the pinion and the carrier. also had to replace the spider gears and the spider shims yay me that was really fun for the wallet.... hahahaha

9. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

**** if it is the rear id just pick one up from the jy and call it fine

10. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

the only reason i chose to replace the bearings would be that my luck a couple of months down the road i would have had the same problem. hahahaha

11. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

hahah yea same hear, but most ppl dont lower there truck and drive with a ****ty pinon angle for a while like i am lol

12. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

lol yeah you may have to replace the pinion bearings and races....

13. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

yea but i dont think its the rear-end thats making the vibration and all the noise. im thinking its the trans...

14. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

well i just double checked the u-joint and theres play... i checked them before because i kept getting a squeek in the rear. that was probably them going out.

do you think the evap problem happened because of all the vibration?

15. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

well i got new u joints put in. was good for a while now the ****ing vibration is back but its not to the extent as before. any ideas??? i checked the new u joints also and theyre is no play

16. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

how fast were you going when the vibration starts?

17. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

10-20 mph is the shudder. and the bad vibration is 60 mph and over. i think a tire in back is out of balance, im gonna take it too that shop and see if they could put the wheels on the machine. hopefully its just that a stick on weight fell off and not a bad belt in the tire..... :\

18. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

that's the idea i was having

19. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

yea i guess ill find out tomorrow

20. OP
    SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

well turns out my back tires were out of alignment. no more vibration now!

21. klinger86

klinger86 Moderator

glad to hear it now you wnt get out of your truck looking like your jonesing for another high..... hahahahahahaha