Dealerships

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemans 00, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Freemans 00

Freemans 00 Active Member

Alright I been looking at this 2006 F150 Extended cab 4wd with 51k miles and they want $16,600 for it how can I get them to come down. I need some tips my first experience with dealerships and I know a little and I come off as a dick lol but I need some tips Im wanting to pay $14-14.5k

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. hazard-maine

hazard-maine northern ranger driver

okay so one trick is if they dont come down on price say okay i guess ill go look at another truck at another dealership

4. OP
    Freemans 00

alright I can do that lol

5. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

Show a lot of interest and let them know you are down to play ball. Spend a good amount of time looking at the truck but don't make it seem like you won't leave without that truck. They will not let you walk off the lot if they think you are serious. Don't be scared to let them know that it isn't a big deal to let this truck pass

6. Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  7. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Best one I ever used was coming right out and saying " I dont like car salesmen, make me feel like you arent one and work with me or I just find another dealer that treats me well". It worked too lol.

8. OP
    Freemans 00

9. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

16.5 ain't that bad considering the truck's MSRP was probably darn near 35k just 6 years ago. Especially with that low of miles.

See if they'll entertain 15.5, and be happy with a low mile, lightly used, nice pickup.

10. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

One of the best things you can do is find a similar truck with same options and close the same miles, take that for a test drive and then go to the dealership with that truck and say I have the opportunity to buy this truck but I prefer yours. they'll work out a deal.

Or kick the salesman in the nuts if he doesnt give you a good price :p

11. OP
    Freemans 00

Lol I'll see what happens

12. OP
    Freemans 00

They called and told me there not budging on the 16.6k price tag said I can go anywhere else and they will have it at that price or more what do I do now?

13. pooleo

pooleo New Member

first, do you have cash in hand?

I always find it mind boggeling how people finance a car/truck and try to haggle the price. Especially if you are financing thru them! :eek:

If you have cash in hand, the balls in your court. If not, they have the upper hand

14. pooleo

pooleo New Member

or, if your financing, get it from a credit union or a bank. Then you are affectively paying cash to the dealer.

15. OP
    Freemans 00

I have 4k cash money in hand and another 6 if i sell my ranger Im just not going to sell my truck and not have avehicle to get to work unless I have one coming the next day

16. Justincredible

Justincredible BLACKOUT

i personally hate payments, would rather buy it completely

17. OP
    Freemans 00

well ill only owe like 2k but they said you cant get financed for that they only allow 4k financing or some **** so ill pay what I can then save up make 2 payments and pay the rest off.

18. OP
    Freemans 00

19. I would do the 08, cleaner newer and does not have a cracked windsheild.
    less miles for 2k more do the 08

20. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

I have no good advice for you here... I've never been able to buy any vehicle from a big dealership.

I go with checkbook or cash in hand to pay for it right there.
    Never had a car payment, never want to.
    They never like that, they always want to finance ...no matter what we've got the best financing... blah, blah... what they don't tell you is every 0.1% they jack your rate up, the more money goes into their pocket for the term.

Who wants to pay $24k for a $15k vehicle? Not me.

Give them a firm, but low offer. Tell them you have a sizable down payment or whatever you have. Unless they have 100 other people willing to pay their price that can get financing, they'll negotiate. If they won't budge, show them the NADA or Kelley Blue Book value you printed online that shows the truck is worth $XX,XXX.XX which is far less than their asking price. If they still won't budge, move on to the next place. I wouldn't do business with a place that played hard ball like that... what will they do when you bring it in for warranty work... tell you to go fly a kite?

Also, if you can visit your bank, credit union, etc and have a pre-approval for a certain amount in hand, they know exactly how much they'll make for a minimal amount of work.

The auto industry is still swirling the bowl & no matter how fancy their suit or how polished their desk is, they're hurting for money.

21. OP
    Freemans 00

Well they won't budge on the 08 they said 14700 and I'm out the door. Only thing I'm concerned about is possibly getting layed off and having a payment with full coverage insurance and I want to pay it off ASAP by October. So who here knows about f150's do there engine last long like our rangers? I know my ranger could easily reach 200k and I only put 5k at the most miles on a year