Dash Temp sensor

Discussion in '2.5 Engine' started by dropt_98, May 10, 2013.

1. dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

I've been having some odd cooling issues with my truck lately, the temp gauge on the dash likes to go from cold to op temp, then back to cold again. Sometimes hovering in between. It never reads hot, so I'm not concerned about overheating, but I wonder if either the connection on the dash is loose or the sensor itself is shot.

I have an aftermarket water temp gauge on my pillar and I would love to wire it up, but I'm not sure which of the 2 sensors is for the dash. One is gray, one is brown. I haven't had much luck figuring out which is which. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

My first 2 guesses are bad connection/wire or bad gauge itself.
    Easy thing to try is open the hood and make sure all the connectors on the engine are fully plugged in.

4. OP
    dropt_98

dropt_98 New Member

I've already checked the harness, swapped sensors, and I've come to the conclusion that its probably the gauge cluster. They are prone to shorting out. I'd like to just unplug the dash sensor and use my aftermarket gauge, I just don't know which sensor is for the dash and which is for the ECU...Any ideas?