Dash Lights out - simple things first...ideas?

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by sdowiat, Aug 16, 2013.

1. sdowiat

sdowiat New Member

Mine is a '99 3.0 4x4 still in really good shape. I was driving home last night on the interstate and all the dash lights went out. ( cab light, high beam still work... so do the actual gauges )

I've checked the fuses. Appears to be 3 related to the instrument cluster.. all are good.

I've wiggled on the dimmer rheostat & the headlight switch... nothing.

I guess my next step is to go under the hood and check all the breaker resets...

Ya'll got any suggestions or ideas? Ever heard of this before?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

If all of the fuses are good, My first guess would be the dimmer (Pulse-width module). This is the rotary dial that controls how bright the lights are. They don't use rheostats anymore. It's all electronic. Which means wiggling it won't do a darn thing.......

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. portert

portert New Member

Mine just did this. It was the headlight switch.