CV axle not turning on one side, normal?

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by Mattio, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Mattio

Mattio New Member

So I put the 1998 Ford Ranger 4.0 4x4 up on jacks yesterday so I could put it in 4x4 and see if all 4 wheels turned. What I saw was pretty interesting. The front cv axle on the driver's side turned but the wheel did not (vacuum locking bearing problem I'm guessing and I'm going to install manual hubs) and the front cv axle on the passenger's side didn't turn at all. Is there any normal things that would cause one of the cv axles to not turn? What do you think is going on here?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

If you do not have a locker then one wheel will pull forward and the other will pull reverse.

When in 4 wheel drive and no lockers you really only have a 2x, one in the front and one in the rear.
    Maybe that is what you are seeing.

4. OP
    Mattio

Mattio New Member

Thank you. I had to look up some more stuff to see what you're talking about but you pointed me in the right direction. Thanks