Cup Holders... looking for pics, dimensions & info

Discussion in 'Interior' started by buggman, Jul 21, 2012.

1. buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

So after several requests for something LED related for the cup holders, I need some pics, dimensions, even scale drawings of the cup holders in all the various configurations.

The main dimension I need is the bottom diameter as it should be the smallest measurement. I'm guessing most will be perfectly round, but there may be some that have an oval shape to them, I have no idea.

If you can get some good overhead pics of the cup holder area, accurate dimensions & info about the vehicle ie: 2000 std cab stock cup holders, etc... it will greatly help me out.
    With so many different shapes, sizes & different designs there's no way I'm going to be able to collect one of each, so I turn to you... the guys & gals who actually have them for help.

Once I have something to go from, I may make some cardboard or plywood templates to send out to check the fit in the actual cup holders.

When I have the templates fitted, it will be onto prototyping & there's a good chance I'm gonna need a FEW guinea pigs to test 'em out.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. ob269

ob269 New Member

Would it be easier if I just make the cardboard prototype for you and send it out?

4. Pbav8tor

Pbav8tor Old Fart

And does that include the Expo cupholders?

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

How about I just send you the cupholder with everything in it?

[​IMG]

I have 2 of them in my garage

6. OP
    buggman

buggman Do not touch the trim!

Cardboard or posterboard templates would work too :thumbsup:
    I just figured most people wouldn't want to mess around with making anything :whistling:

I'll probably make the LED modules about 1/8" smaller so they're easy to get in & so they don't get stuck in case you ever want to remove them.

Rangers, Explorers... whatever kinda cup holders you have; in the armrest, floor console, etc. I'd like to have every possibility covered.

Hooligan, I actually have that same floor console from my truck somewhere in the attic... I just have to wait 'till it cools down & get up there to dig it out again :yes:

7. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Black Std Center Console - Std type with in-line, frt to back, Cup holders.
    Rear is larger than front (frt).
    Rear has an insert.

Two sizes:

Frt: 2 ½"

Rear:
    w/o Insert: 2 ⅞”
    w/ Insert: 2 ¾”

Method used… I took aluminum foil and formed the insert of the Cup holder, removed same and measured.

Suggestion - use SMT LEDs mounted to recessed holes; wiring through the bottom and edges sealed for food and drink.

8. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

How is this going, have you had time to do anything ?

Here are some of the pics from the web, just looking around, waiting to see what you come up with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Anything new in this arena ?

I was talking to a guy in FL, Caribbean Customs, and he sells Glow Plates that can be cut in any configuration.
    Got me thinking about your LED Lighted Cup Holders and was just wondering what was going on ?

10. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Hey Buggman,
    Got some flat LEDs the other day, looking for some plexiglass to make some thin pucks to fit the bottom of the cup holder, maybe ¼ or ⅜”.
    Will only need a center counter bore approximately 3/16” maybe a little less.
    Then I plan on .frosting the top of the puck by bead blasting, maybe the whole thing.
    Hopping for a spread of light with the frosted plexiglass.

How are your getting along, any progress.

11. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Just picked up a ¼” 12” x 24” piece of plexiglass for $5 at a local glass shop.

GREAT Price, now I need one of those arm type hole cutters; may need to go to the Tool Store tomorrow.

Also, I measured the bottom of the insert for the Cup Holders and cam up with these measurements: Frt - 2.59” and Rear - 2.92”.
    I will attempt cutting the pucks tomorrow and then drill a centered hole with a drill not all the way through though, hopping this will spread some light.

Now I need a way to block some of the light, any ideas ?

Paint, plastic glued in place, wonder what will hold up the best.

Also, thinking on sealing the puck in place with silicone, any thing else that will work ?

Sorry Buggman for adding this to your posting but we have been mentioning ideas.

I will start another thread once I get the pucks cut.

12. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

Buggman,
    Finished size for loose fitting plastic cup holder inserts are as follows:

Front = 2.56"
    Rear = 2.90”

These are a little loose but if you use something like Windshield seal to lock then in place the slight undersize will not matter.