cleaning iac

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by mcdonald58, Jun 18, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

im thinking about cleaning my iac since i have a really rough idle. i have the throttle body cleaner that ill use. but where is my iac located. what should i look next to?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

You're better off just replacing it. I tried cleaning 2 of my own and they crapped out after cleaning them. The IAC is mounted usually on top of the throttle body, where the intake hose is connected.

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

hmm alright ill look around and see if i can find it. i hate not knowing what parts of my engine are. i cant wait for my auto tech class next year.

5. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

is this my iac? it has a connector in it and two bolts on it. i wasnt sure if this was it though.
    [​IMG]

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Thats it dude

7. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright awesome thats coming off tomorrow and im cleaning it. i hope itll fix my rough idle. my truck stalled and i almost got tboned.

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

should i take off the whole throttle body or just my iac? i think my haynes suggested take off the whole throttle body.

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Just the iac. Unplug the back end then take off the two bolts and that's it

10. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright sounds easy enough. i use throttle body cleaner and cue tips in it correct?

11. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Just make sure whatever you use does NOT contain a solvent. If it does you just killed your iac

12. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

13. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Just read what it contains it should tell you. Maf cleaner should work though

14. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

alright thanks i might go up to advance auto parts after i lift and ask them just to make sure. thanks for the help i hope this fixes my problems.

15. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Anytime good luck man

16. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

well i went out this morning to take off my iac and clean it. i got the connector off and one bolt. then i went to take the other bolt off which is in such a tight spot that the wrench cant even turn. so it looks like ill have to take off my whole throttle body if i want to clean it.

17. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

While you have the throttle body off, clean that sucker up too dude!

18. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yup thats the plan. ive got everything off except the bolts and the throttle cable. how do i get the throttle cable off.
    [​IMG]

19. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i got that off now theres some kind of hose or cable under the throttle body that i cant get off. this is so annoying.

20. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i got the sucker off. mine was so dirty the plate was black. now its drying i cleaned the throttle body and the iac. hopefully it will fix my idleing problems. ill post before and after pics once it finishes drying.

21. Hurley

Hurley Superultramegalurker

how bad is your idle? do you have a check engine light?