Changing tire size on 2009 Ranger XL

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Basil007, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Basil007

Basil007 New Member

Hi. I am new to the forum. I have a 2009 Ford Ranger XL with a 2.3L. The stock tire size is P225/70R15. I would like to install the same size of tires the V6 Rangers come with P235/75R15. My concern is if these tires are to big and heavy for the 4 cyl engine. Will if affect my fuel economy? How do I calibrate the speedometer for the taller tire, can I change the speedometer cable gear and if so what gear do I replace it with? Thanks for the help.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Jon

Jon Administrator

Welcome to the site!

4. OP
    Basil007

Basil007 New Member

Have you registered...

Hi Jon

As far as I know I have. I didn't think you were able to post or participate unless you were a member.

Cheers

5. bigcountry33s

bigcountry33s New Member

you'd be fine swapping sizes. i wouldnt even think you'd notice the difference. its what? one inch differnece?

6. brazospete7

brazospete7 New Member

I had an old toyota pickup in Alaska and it had 14" tires on it and I had an old Ford van that had nearly new studded snow tires on it when it crapped out and I accidently found out the wheels would fit on the toy truck (flat tire no spare 26 miles to the fixin place). I put both of the 15" wheels on the back mpg went from 15 to 20 mpg I was tickled. As far as the speedo goes just guess your speed higher than indicated at first and the first chance you get when your on an interstate note the beginning milemarker and odometer reading and drive 50 or a hundred miles and compare the actual miles to the odometer and you got the difference.:D

7. brazospete7

brazospete7 New Member

However my 2.3 is a gutless wonder and larger diameter tires on the rear will lower the rpm of the engine at any given speed sooooo it might be a problem if you ever have to pull a trailer up a steep hill other wise if it wont hold od you just have to shift down conversely it will increase top speed on a long downhill. Truckdrivers call that longer legs.