CEL comes on for 1 sec sometimes when hitting bumps cuts out

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by got2bd1, Jul 19, 2024.

1. got2bd1

got2bd1 New Member

I have a 1994 Ranger 2.3L that occasionally will cut out and the the CEL will on for a second then goes off when I hit a bump. Might be related Im not sure but sometimes when I start it cold after 8 minutes the CEL will light up and stay on for a minute or two then goes off. I'm guessing thats for the 172 code.

Check and replaced all vac hoses including the pcv valve hoses and the valve itself.

Recent repairs:
    Timing belt
    Timing Belt Tensioner
    Crankshaft position sensor
    Motor mounts
    Trans mount
    Oil changer
    air Filter
    fuel filter
    oil filter
    5w20 synthetic
    Belt
    Tensioner

Problem was there before any of these repairs, I was hoping these would have cleared it up but it did improve the way it ran and it didn't happen as frequent. (Used to back fire and die before timing components were changed, barely caught it before timing belt ripped apart) It feels like if you were to kill power to the fuel pump for a second and plugged it back in. Loose plug somewhere maybe?

Pulled Codes i get
    KOEO:

Cont:

KOER:
    Not done until 172 is resolved

Its a good little truck faded paint but only has 131,000 miles, I paid $1,000.00 for it 5 years ago.
    This is the first real problem its given me other than normal wear and tear items.

Any help or direction to look would be appreciated and thanks in advance

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    got2bd1

got2bd1 New Member

Ok well even though I have no replies (hasnt been much time for anyone to see it) I found the problem, I don't know why it didn't show itself the last time i "wiggled and tapped" connectors and relays and such. But it ended up being the contacts in the distribution box for the ecm relay. Tapped it with engine running and it cut out engine light flashed once. Cut wires and temporarily moved to a new relay connector until i can get a new distribution box. Just thought I'd answer with my fix it might help someone later on.

4. Captainmetro

Captainmetro New Member

Not much happening around this stupid forum eh?