Blown head gasket? 1997 4.0 Ranger

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by Yeroc Nella, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Yeroc Nella

Yeroc Nella New Member

Hey, I have a 1997 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0. Starting from when I got the truck it had a nasty red/orange rusty color in the coolant. We flushed it many times but it always came back. Now the truck started saying it was over heating. This would only last for seconds. It would shoot up to the red then instantly cool off to normal temp. Then the radiator cap blew fluid everywhere. So we replaced the radiator and thermostat. Now there is bubbles in the overflow and it's smoking bad. So my dad says its a blown head gasket. does that sound right? if so should I get it fixed of get a new motor for just a grand more with a 3 year warranty?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

To me sound right, maybe a cracked head.

If possible $$$ get the new motor.