alternator

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by trommy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. trommy

trommy New Member

When I bought this the voltmeter was very high and gradually touched the red line before I got it home.When I was getting it ready to put on the road I noticed sparks in the cigarette lighter socket and found 3 pennies in there.They were killing the battery and I had to disconnect the positive clamp.After removing,the needle is still at about 80% but everything seems normal.Starts easily even well below freezing.I wonder if these pennies were the reason for the previous owner changing the alternator and possibly for selling because as soon as the positive was reconnected it would spark(from the pennies).Is this voltmeter anything to worry about?Thanks

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I had the same thing in my 93, two pennies were draining my battery constantly. Once I took them out everything was fine. It never affected the alternator though

4. OP
    trommy

trommy New Member

I guess that's your '2 cents worth',lol.Thanks.There's some comfort in knowing someone else had the same experience.

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

LOL, yeah I couldnt believe it either when I started reading your thread! Must be the happenin place for Abe!