AC recharge

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by mac6986, May 30, 2012.

1. mac6986

mac6986 New Member

Hey guys, it's starting to warm up so I cranked up the ac in my truck. After running for a little over 15 minutes at highway speed, it's not getting cold. In fact it feels hotter.

So I figured I'd get a can of 134 recharge it. I picked up one with the gauge and followed all the directions. The system was empty. So i started filling it and it quickly rose to about 50 while the compressor is off and like 15 when its on. The compressor comes on for 3 seconds and goes off for 3 seconds and it constantly cycles like that. The gauge says that anything over 60 is in the " danger zone". Is that on the low end or the high end? Because the ac is somewhat cooler but nowhere near cold.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i would just keep filling it. my truck would do the same thing. it rose when the comprssor when it wasnt on and then it would drop when it was. eventually it stopped turning on and off and my a/c works great.

4. if it is fast cycling generally means low on freon still

5. OP
    mac6986

mac6986 New Member

Thanks guys, I pretty much used up most of the first can, so I bought another 18 oz can and hooked that one up too. this was a different brand and I noticed on the directions that you only measure the pressure when the compressor cycles on. the other can failed to mention that. so that meant I only had about 10- 15 psi in the system. so it was a long waiting game because of the way the compressor was cycling, it would only flow in once the compressor kicked on. so after about 20 minutes, it finally had enough in it so that it would kick on and stay on. and the whole system equalized and the air is icy cold now.

6. ZRanger28

ZRanger28 Got boost?

Glad you got it figured out. It leaks out over time