'99 4 Door Speaker Recommendations

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Woodnutz78, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Woodnutz78

Woodnutz78 New Member

I'm looking into replacing the factory speakers in my '99 4 door. Would anyone offer any suggestions? I'm not looking for pro-audio - just something decent that's a little better than the Pioneers you can get at Walmart. My first though is RF R1682's in the rear and Kicker DS68's in the front. Your thoughts? Ideas?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Superlifted06FX4

Superlifted06FX4 Last of the V8s

I've had Pioneers and Pioneer Premiers, both are great speakers for the price. I also like Kickers too.

4. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I like the pioneer and alpine speakers. Go to Crutchfield.com see what fits your truck and read the reviews on the speakers for some more input

5. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I am for Pioneer.

Go to Pioneer.com amd check out there matching matrix.
    It will tell you what work with what.

If you use there amp it will tell you the best for the speakers you choose or what wattage amp to use for the speakers you choose.

If you can fit component speakers in the front do it, the highs and mids come out a lot better.

6. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

I went OEM. I used Mustang Mach 500 co axial speakers in the front and high end Lincoln speakers in the back. Got em on fleabay.
    I have not bought aftermarket speakers in many many years, so I may be slightly outdated. I was impressed with the fact the OEM ones I chose had the rear of the speakers totally enclosed and sealed. They bolted right in on my 03 Edge doors and minor trimming in the back speakers. All 4 of the new speakers are 6x9 format.

7. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

OEM Speakers... Around an '01 Explorer Sport, the one I opened up at the JY, had a Pioneer CD6, component speakers in the front and 6 x 9s in the rear. They also have an amp in the far back but this one was gone.
    So look for an Explorer Sport with a Pioneer setup in the JY and rape it.

added:

I also added a US Spec iPod Adapter, plugs in the Aux CD Changer Port, 20 pin connector, and I was amazed at the sounds from the Ford/Pioneer Component Speakers, they brought out highs and mid like I have not heard from a Ford only Speaker. I know the iPod had a lot to do with it but I liked the sound for stock speakers.
    The US Spec Adapter has an full iPod Connector and a 3.5mm connector, it can run 5 playlist named FORD 1-5 and it has a switched position that allows the iPod to control the play. Nice all around unit, but over $100.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  8. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Another set of speakers I had were Infinity Reference...they were really good....a bit pricey but good!