97 danger ranger build thread

Discussion in 'Ranger Media' started by mcdonald58, Jun 19, 2012.

1. mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

since ive made a lot of progress on the truck i figured i would make an official build thread. i got the truck on 9/11 as my first car/truck. i didnt plan on doing all this modding and work to it but since i joined the forums i cant stop.
    here the truck the day i got it.
    [​IMG]
    after i did some painting and got the tool box.
    [​IMG]
    i got the tool box for free from a my dads friend.
    then me and my friend fabbed up some light tabs to mount these harbor freight lights on it.
    [​IMG]
    next i started working on the interior of the truck. when i got it the truck had a solid bench that was heavily worn on the drivers side. so i got a 60/40 seat at a jy.[​IMG]
    then my brothers got me a crutchfield gift card which i used to get my pioneer 3400ub headunit.[​IMG]
    after getting my head unit i saw how bad my stock speakers were so i got some kenwoods for my doors.
    [​IMG]
    these are now in the back and i have a pair of kickers in the front now.
    got my mustang dome because i hated not having map lights
    [​IMG]
    then i stopped modding for a little until i found buggman.
    i got dash cluster leds, headlight bulb, mustang dome light leds, hvac leds, 3 bl leds all from buggman.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after this i got some red knobs from hooligan to match my head unit lights.
    then i did some painting in the interior.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and blacked out my badges.
    [​IMG]
    other things ive done to the truck:
    replaced all shocks with rancho ones
    charged the a/c with a/c pro
    changed spark plugs and wires
    new tires

theres still much to do my summer plans include ohc, fog light valance, buggman ovals, new carpet, powered sub, por15 my frame. ill update this with the more work i do to the truck.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

looks nice man! in your dash cluster those are blue leds right? is the stock green filter still there?

4. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

nope just white leds. the stock ones were a ugly teal color. i am very happy with how the leds came out.

5. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

oh i see, they look really nice!

6. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

thanks i love them. 100% better than my stock ones. completely worth the week with no dash lighting. i cant wait to get the rest of my buggman mods.

7. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

yea man that will be cool! buggman oval sounds like a good idea actually...

8. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i forgot to add that i painted my bumpers and grille flat black. also heres my favorite pic of my truck.
    [​IMG]

9. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

any plans for lift or lower?

10. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i have 1.5 in leveling coils in the fall and possibly a 3 in body lift. but i dont want to have to get new tires or kill my mpg that is already terrible.

11. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

nice man. what are you getting for mileage?

12. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

12. its so annoying. ive been able to push it to 230 a tank but normally 210-220. im not sure whats going on.im going to clean my iac and im going to do a fuel system tune up when i do my next oil change.

13. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

wow yea thats not normal. did you do plugs, wires, airfilter, at all? any check engine light?

14. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

yup i replaced my plugs and wires turned out i had the factory ones on there. i have a intermittent check engine light i got one about a month after i got the truck and one about a week ago. everytime i go to get it read it turns off. i want a ultragauge so it can read the code before it turns off.

15. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

yea when you do your iac and fuel do a air filter too, cant hurt. yea i really wish i bought one of them instead of putting this stupid tach in (since it has that on it i think). or a scanguage, maybe ill get one. but yea if you get that figured out im sure that will help. how many miles on your truck?

16. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i had valvoline put a air filter in when they did my oil change. theres only 43k on my truck. so i hope i figure out how to fix it soon since its going to last me forever and im running it into the ground.

17. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

wow thats low miles. well let me know what you find out man

18. yeah 12mpg on a 4cyl is not good are you always flooring it ? I am getting 15-17 with the 4.0 and 4x4 something cant be right, maybe your gauge is off, carry some fuel with you and drive it till empty, you know start with a full tank and chk the mileage. air up those tires too

19. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

my tires are full and im not flooring it all the time. i never thought about my gauge being off. thats one more reason for me to get an ultraguage.

20. OP
    mcdonald58

mcdonald58 New Member

i wanted to update this with my stickers that i have on the truck
    first off is my 9/11 sticker. i felt it was fitting since i bought the truck on 9/11 and wanted to remember the 2996 americans that lost their lives wherever i take the truck.
    [​IMG]
    also my navy sticker to show my support for my brother who is a nuclear engineer in the navy.
    [​IMG]
    soon i will have a danger stick next to my ranger one to officially name the truck.

21. Bwad

Bwad New Member

Check your fuel filler hose. Mine, when I first got it, was rotted through at the hose clamp connecting the hose to the tank. It might be evaporating your gas in the summer heat.