97 4x4 front axle

Discussion in 'Maintenance Shop' started by rangerider, Apr 22, 2009.

1. rangerider

rangerider shadetree

Over the weekend I replace u-joints and slip yoke in the front axle of 97 Ranger 4x4 took some pix. First got the truck up and secured on jack stand and rear wheels blocked. I then removed wheels and warn locking hubs. then the brake mounting bracket..left the caliper bolted on (one less thing to put back in place.

With a spindle nut wrench (sorry no part number) removed the outer hub nut, then the lock washer/spacer and the inner hub nut and removed the rotor. This exposed the spindle and the 6 six nuts holding it on. removed the nuts and with a rubber malet beat the spindle loose..if these are rusted spray them with a penetrent and let soak a while. My 92 took some beating...A LOT of beating to get it loose. After gettign the spindle off the axle shaft on the drivers side (left) pulls right out. The (right side) passagers side slides in a yoke which has a rubber boot the needs to be slid off the axle. The the axle will pull right out. The last picture is of the nipple on the inner hub nut that must be installed outward..so the one of the holes in the washer/spacer will go over it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    rangerider

rangerider shadetree

more axle

Here are more pix of the process of removing the front axles.
    right side removing spindle nuts, right side outer wheel bearing, right side spindle right side axle.

4. OP
    rangerider

rangerider shadetree

Axle continued

I needed to replace the yoke as the old axle and the yoke were worn out.
    There was nothing left of the inside of the yoke. worn smooth no splines at all. I didn't take any more pictures of this process..because it is a lot of work getting the diff out in order to remove the C-clip so the inner axle shaft will come out. but here are the rest of the axle removal pix. a pic of the yoke, left side spindle, left side axle and left side axle removed.

5. WesternPaRanger

WesternPaRanger New Member

nicely done, description, pics, I don't have a 4x4 but if I needed to work on one this would be extremely helpful. Hope the project is going well.

6. OP
    rangerider

rangerider shadetree

If you notice the nut in center of last picture...then go in from there. you can see a cynlinder shape..this is where the bottom bolt for the radius arm threads into. After it was all back together and during 4x4 testing this cyclinder broke loose. This allowed the radius arm to move anytime the supenison flexed.. Only way to fix for this shade tree...was a sawsall LOL. I replaced it with (sorry not duct tape) grade 8 hardware. drove it for a little while, took it back a part and re-touged it to 225 lbs and lock tight. no more problems. Glad it looks like it would be helpful.

7. C-Clip

The above mentioned about removed the C-Clip so the inner axle shaft will come out. Do you mean the pass side axle shaft? If so, could you post the pix to remove the C-Clip, please. Thanks