97 2.3l crank shaft seal

Discussion in '2.3 Engine' started by rkcox93, Jun 28, 2012.

1. rkcox93

rkcox93 New Member

97 Ranger, 2.3L, 5 sp. Looks like I need to replace the crank shaft seal. It's been leaking like the Exxon Valdez for to long now. Are there any tips, tricks, tools or general knowledge that I should know before I dig into this? Anything would help, I already have the seal and going to replace the timing belt since I will be there anyway.
    Thank you,
    Rich

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

Pull the tranny back. Unbolt motor mounts and jack the motor up enough to stick a piece of 2x4 underneath them. That gives you enough room to remove the oil pan.

4. OP
    rkcox93

rkcox93 New Member

Thanks Brinker88, but I'm looking at replacing the crank shaft seal, not the oil pan.