96 Ranger Transmission problems

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by gmart, Sep 20, 2011.

1. gmart

gmart New Member

Hi! I have a 96 ford Ranger xl 2wd 2.3L, R&R Transmission.. won't go into gear.. any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks.. Gmart

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I think you need to be more specific with that question for better advice

4. OP
    gmart

gmart New Member

Yes you are right, Thank you. I posted one on new introductions first and had additional info there due to replies. Thank you again..
    96 ford ranger 2.3l, 2wd..R&R trans.. won't go into gear. Neutral safety works. Starts in park and neutral. checked speedsensor and output sensor.
    speedometer is sitting at 20mph. at idle. Trans holds in park (truck doesn't move)
    Thanks again

5. OP
    gmart

gmart New Member

96 Ranger Trans issues

Hello all, I could use some help/advice on my 96 ford ranger 2.3 4cyl. 2wd
    The trans is a 4r44E from a Junk yard (123k miles) replaced the original trans was wiped. The trans that was installed worked (was road tested) shifted fine. Went to move it a day later and it would not go into gear.
    Checked fluid, ck and readjust shift linkeage. Starts in neutral and park. Park pole holds. funny thing the speedometer is sitting at 20 mph at idle or when the truck is off. Take off the battery cable and the speedo goes to "zero" any suggestions would be great and helpful.. Thanks, George unsure:

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Have you checked all the grounds when you did the swap?

7. OP
    gmart

gmart New Member

Ran a scan and the following codes came up under the KOER scan
    P1000, P0121, P1124, P1780 Trans control circuit out of range

8. OP
    gmart

gmart New Member

I am pretty sure about the grounds.. I ran a scan using a mac tools scanner and multiple codes came up. P1780 Trans control switch circuit out of range; P0121 & P1124 both TPS issues. P1000 OBD II. I used the manual to ck the tps voltage and ohm ranges and were ok. Not sure on the P1780
    Thanks

9. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Both threads have been merged for best results on the topic

10. OP
    gmart

gmart New Member

Thanks..not sure where to go from here.. I am thinking ecm/pcm or internal trans problem