96 2wd 2.3 squealing like a banshee...help!

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by JackieAnn, Mar 5, 2020.

1. JackieAnn

JackieAnn New Member

I have a squeal coming from the engine bay. I removed the serpentine belt, started her up for a minute and the squeal remains.
    I have replaced clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder and pilot bearing.
    The crazy thing is it's not all the time. It's squealing most of the time, but once in a while it will go for almost a day absolutely quiet, then it starts again.
    The squeal sounds just like a belt or pulley is bad. It rises and falls with rpm.changes, and at idle is barely noticeable.
    No problem starting or running, it shifts fine, I just can't seem to figure out what's squealing.
    I took it to a buddy who is a tech for Ford. He listened to it and it sounded as if it was coming from the passenger side rear of the engine, and not the timing belt area.
    When I get under the truck, it seems really loud neat the oil.pan area.
    And advice would be helpful. I'm going nuts trying to fix it haha.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

I too going nut trying to figure out the squeak on mine. First, I though it was the tensioner. Original belt tensioner, replace it and it goes away for a while. Idler, replaced it and go away for a short time. It is seem to be from the bell housing. I also did a clutch job. The only thing I didn't do was to replace the flywheel. It does have some "hot spot" but roughing it up with sand block, seem to do the trick.