95 dash to 93?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by 1995-350, Nov 25, 2012.

1. 1995-350

1995-350 New Member

my brother 93 dash is busted all up and needs replaced we have a 95 parts truck with a great dash in it and better speedo etc is it possible to change the dashis out both of tham are 3.0 5 speeds if this helps thank for any reply:)

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I don't know for sure but I think it would be a direct swap.
    The body of the Ranger's didn't change from '93 to '95 and if I remember correctly the electronics didn't either.

Maybe this post will get some more responses.

4. OP
    1995-350

1995-350 New Member

allright thanks man ill look into it the main thing i was worried about was will all the wires be plug and play lol

5. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

both the body and the wiring changed in 95. the shape of the firewall is different, went from obd I to obd II, computer location is different, hvac is different, steering column is different, door panels, a pillars, dash mounting points are all different.

can it be done, yes. is it a bolt in/plug n play, no way.

6. Scrambler82

Scrambler82 Old Guy User

I know the outward look of the dash changed but did the mounting change too ?
    I thought OBDII came in in ’96 ?
    Why I said that is in MA a ’95 doesn’t need emission testing anymore.

7. OP
    1995-350

1995-350 New Member

hmmm well if all the mounts changed it would probaly be easyer to take my mustang dash that is in the grage and try to set it up in there

8. drppdyllwrngr

drppdyllwrngr Member

95 was a hybrid year for the obd II. it's not a true obd II system, but has all the data port, etc. as for mounting points, yes they are different. 95+ has three across the windshield, 94 and older has 4. pretty sure the other points in the door jambs are different as well.

yes, the mustang dash is just as much work. biggest difference is you have to cut or make new door panels. the a-pillars have to be reshaped as well. here is the one is my 93. did the initial install about 6 years ago. redoing it now. working on the wiring for the dash at the moment. plan to run the mustang cluster, floor shifter, e-brake, and headlight switch. other things to consider with this swap....power windows are a must. if you don't have them, you will have to open the door to roll windows up/down. the cranks hit the dash. if you have an auto trans, floor shifter is pretty much needed. the shifter arm hits the dash. ranger hvac and the mustang hvac will not work easily. i plan to run aftermarket (vintage air).

then:
    [​IMG]

now:
    [​IMG]

wiring:
    [​IMG]

mine is still requiring firewall changes. the 93 has one, large round plug for the engine harness to the interior harness. the 97 motor i'm using has three, smaller square plugs. so i have to cut out the round hole and make it square. i grabbed a section from the junkyard to do that.

on a side note, i have my old dash/frame listed for sale. it's pretty much ready to be bolted into a 94 and older ranger.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  9. OP
    1995-350

1995-350 New Member

wow lot of helpfull content there thanks man :thumbsup: