4x4 not working.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cedric Bourque, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Cedric Bourque

Cedric Bourque New Member

My 2011 ranger’s 4x4 stopped working awhile back. Ford replaced the transfer case motor with an OEM motor. The 4by4 module was replaced , the switch is good, the relay is good. Now, this summer my horn started blowing out of the blue until I turned the key on then it stopped. The second time this happened as soon as I turned the steering wheel , the horn stopped. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem. Is it possible a wire in the steering column is bad ? Apparently the cruise control and the 4x4 are indirectly associated as you cannot run four wheel drive while on cruise. this problem is driving me crazy as the dealership charged me $1200.00 but fixed NOTHING. Please help. Thank you.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

Multi control switch....

Cedric Bourque likes this.
  4. Tahoe303

Tahoe303 New Member

Is that the 4x4 selector switch or some other switch. My 98 4x4 isn't working either, and no action when the I'd move the switch 2Hi to 4HI or 4 Lo.
    Thought I'd start there, picked up anew switch just have to find time to install.

5. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

It is on the steering wheel, part of turn signal, high beam, wiper control..

The 98 4x4 is not engaging?? If you have not modify it to the explore, I would make there the vacuum lines going into the hubs are not leaking. Personally, I just remove the entire axle and use the 97+ explorer or 2001+ axles and plug up the vacuum lines.

6. Tahoe303

Tahoe303 New Member

Ok thanks on the switch info that was replaced a few years ago. I'd think if there was even a vacuum issue there would be some kind of noise somewhere when the switch was rotated not just silence.
    Would you know which relay or fuse in the fuse box (in the engine compartment) is for the 4x4 system? I can't figure it out, the manual doesn't clearly stipulate which breaker is for the 4x4 system.
    Don't plan on sinking a lot of money into it, still rolls fine in 2 WD, got 2 other AWD's. Don't mind some tinkering though, already fixed the passenger side window by replacing the driver side switch.

7. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

I am more familiar with the 98, not really sure about the 2011. The vacuum pulse system just isn't reliable. I converted mine. If you are in Calif, you can have my original. It is still working before remove. If you decide to go to the route I do, you may have to do some wrecking yard. You will need both axles(left and right) and hub assemblies (left and right) of any of the vehicle listed above.