4WD issue

Discussion in 'Drivetrain Tech' started by greenmachine2000, Sep 7, 2012.

1. greenmachine2000

greenmachine2000 New Member

the other day i was messing around in back yard and decided to throw it in 4hi seemed to be working fine, so i tried 4lo and had a strange issue, it would rev for a few seconds then go, then id stop and try it again, and it revs revs revs then go..put it back in 4hi didnt do it, then put it in 4lo again, no issue..what could it be..or could have been?

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

When you put it in 4low are you in gear or neutral? I know on some trucks / vehicles when they go in 4 low it is a bit of a time lag for it to engage

4. OP
    greenmachine2000

wont go in 4lo unless put in neutral first

5. ^ neutral is a must for sure, I dont really like it but I understand why.

6. OP
    greenmachine2000

7. too keep gears from grinding from too fast of a speed when going from High to low, in most jeeps you can go about 3 mph then shift to low, but in the ranger mine has to be stopped then go to neutral. keep those gears Synchronized

8. OP
    greenmachine2000

oh just dont know why it was almost winding up before it would go..

9. OP
    greenmachine2000