225/700R14 or 205/70R14?

Discussion in '1993 - 1997 Ford Ranger' started by kyslugbug, Oct 9, 2012.

1. kyslugbug

kyslugbug New Member

I have a 97 Ranger. It's 2wd, 5spd manual, 4cyl.
    It has 205/70R14 on it, but the door label says it should have 225/700R14.
    Needs new tires. Any reason why I shouldn't go back to the manufacturer's recommended size?
    Thanks!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

it would be better to go back to the OEM size, since your speedo from the factory was adjusted for 225/70/r14s. Unless the previous owner had the speedo reprogrammed for the newer tire size i'd switch back. If youre wondering if this will cause any damage to your truck, no it will not but, if your speedo means your odometer is off.

4. OP
    kyslugbug

kyslugbug New Member

Thanks Rango! I wasn't thinking damage. I guess I was wondering whether the previous owner went with the smaller tire to, in some way, improve performance. ...or was it just because the 225/70R14's were harder to find and maybe more expensive? I'm leaning towards the later.

5. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

Could be a mixture of either:
    -he wanted a specific tire but they dont make it his size
    -he wanted a specific tire but they didnt have it in his size.
    -could be tires he got for cheap so he didnt get picky about it.
    -Smaller/thinner tires do save weight and tire revolution so it does make a vehicle perform better in Mud, snow, water and acceleration
    -Smaller tires save on fuel consumption as well.

6. OP
    kyslugbug

kyslugbug New Member

Thanks, again, Rango! I think he just got a deal on a smaller tire.

7. SlvrRanger93

SlvrRanger93 New Member

Seriously smaller tires perform better in mud, rain, and snow? Question why are they making every tire today twice as big as they were ten twenty years ago?