2011 Ranger 2.3 - axle information

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by helipilot, Apr 17, 2012.

1. helipilot

helipilot New Member

Evenin' all..
    About to order parts for my 2011 Ranger 5sp / 4.10 gear set.
    I'm going to replace the 4.10 gears with 3.55 as well as install a limited slip.

I've checked the VIN on the site:
    http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...icker.pdf?vin=(insert VIN here)

but can't get any info there regarding the axle...whether it's a 28 or 31 spline.

The truck has an 8.8 rear end and rear discs with 4.10 gears....but can anyone give me information regarding with the splines?

28 or 31..??

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I believe from what I have read you should have 28 spline. Ranger models 99 and up with 4:56 gears are 31 spline, so thats what leads me to belive yours will be 28

4. OP
    helipilot

helipilot New Member

Oh...I should mention the truck is 2wd and there is a plasti-wrap tag on the axle.. S314D

Thanks

5. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

What is your intended result from tossing in a higher gearset??

The reason I ask is it is a 4banger pushing a 3500-4000lb truck. They don't make much low end grunt and how they get their low end grunt, is by gearing it. Most newer 5spd manual 4cyl's have 3.73. There's a reason you can't find a 4cyl with 3.55 from the factory: it's not enough gear to get the truck moving. Yet you can find that 3.55 gearing in a 4.0L equipped truck quite frequently.

If she revv's too much for you, I suggest a slightly larger tire set (like a 225/75R15 or 225/70R15 if your factory size is 205/70 or 75R15) before you start really dropping coin in gearing and potentially not getting your desired result.

I don't know much about the 2010+ axles but if I recall correctly, the reason the factory axed the Limited Slip in all trucks is to make the RSC(Roll Stability Control) work properly. Maybe someone here has more in-depth knowledge in the new axles and the new RSC systems can answer you fully and accurately. It's just something to be aware of and pursue more info on.

6. OP
    helipilot

helipilot New Member

Well...I currently run a '95 B2300 with 3.55's installed (factory) and it runs along great and has sufficient oomphh for anything I'm doing...and it returns nearly 40mpg (imp. gal)
    My truck was one of the last off the ass'y line and the 4.10's were put in in order that Ford could advertise a higher towing capacity.
    I'm already running 225/15's and going upsize in the tire dept, would require changing rims and tires to 16"...far more expensive then a gear set.
    With the 3.55's ...I'll bring my 110kmh cruise RPM from 3150 to appx 2400...and if I need more torque....there's always 4th gear
    Oh...and there is no traction control on this vehicle...(and if there was...I'd be out there disabling it! )

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  7. rango88

rango88 Chuck Norris Drove a Ram

this. I'd keep the 4.10 to make the most of the low end grunt the 2.3L can give. I have the 3.55 with my 4L and it provides modest power, I have the 4.10 any day with my truck so i can imagine the effect it will have with your 2.3L

8. Teamexploder

Teamexploder Explorer Member

I too recommend keeping the 4.10 axle ratio, are aiming to have lower RPMs at highway speed or what is the reasoning behind wanting to change axle ratio? If its a must I would say go with 3.73. And you should have a 28 spline axle.

9. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

Look at the door sticker and find where it says axel code, repost when you do With the "code "

10. OP
    helipilot

helipilot New Member

The door sticker does have "Axle" and under that..is "97"
    The axle itself has a plastic wrap around sticker with S314D

Thanks!

11. SalRanger2

SalRanger2 Ranger Lover

bigger tires would be a lot less pain. why would you need to go to 16" to get bigger tires? there is tons of 15" sizes that are really close in diameter. get like a 235/75/15. your current are 225/70/15 right? thats
    225/70/15 = 27.4x8.9/15
    235/75/15 = 28.9x9.3/15

not alot of difference. i run a 255/60/15 = 27x10/15 in the summer and the 235s in the winter. with 3.73s you can tell your hwy rpms are different. at 60mph(with gps) im at 400rpm-ish less with the 255s

just my 2 cents

12. OP
    helipilot

helipilot New Member

I do 'get' the tire option....
    but...
    The truck is brand new...700kms..
    I would be removing (and storing) 4 perfectly good tires..
    Having to shell out at least $800 for 4 new ones....
    Losing what limited handling prowess a Ranger has by going to larger sidewalls (75 vs 70 series)

Whereas...I can keep my 70 series,
    change to a new gear set for $150 for (a 3.55 gear set also off a brand new vehicle)
    Install a Limited Slip ($300 new) + ass't shims.
    Add 3-5 hrs of my time...and I get 800 RPM off my 110kmh cruising speed and limited slip diff..,

Seems like a slam-dunk to me...

13. 01B3000

01B3000 ORIGINAL Portable Seizure

If you've never done a gear swap before, you better know damn well what your doing before you attempt it, get the backlash wrong and in no time, your axle will be seized from heat or you'll be tearing up your gears. You also need a good press to put in the new bearings. And from what in know, 2.3 Models dont have an 8.8, but I also dont know the newer rangers that well, so i may be wrong.

But whats the reason your changing anyway, fuel mileage? RPM's too high at highway cruising? 4 cylinder engines are able to take a higher RPM band, so being up in the RPM's isnt uncommon.

14. OP
    helipilot

helipilot New Member

I'm going to remove the axle...drain the fluids out...
    Then it goes over to a mate of mine who is set up to do rear-ends and has experience with gear swaps..(and the price is right...)

Goals?

As stated previously.

I have a 95 B2300 cab plus...w/factory 3.55 gear set and it cruises sweetly at ~2400rpm @ 110kmh...
    The 4.10's have the engine at almost 3200RPM.

My '95 consistently turns in 38-40 on the highway.

early numbers on my '11 are about 15% to the wrong side...

15. Black mamba

Black mamba The mannnn

28. Spline open 8.8 with 4.10s

16. OP
    helipilot

helipilot New Member

Thanks Mamba!

( I used to work in a small despotic country in Africa...and the car we had was a 'beat-to-****' Toyota Corolla...
    It was painted black...including 2 of the 4 windows
    We nik'd it "Black Mamba"..

Thanks for you help!

17. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!

Im fairly sure itd be 28 spline. The LS are 31s from what Iv heard.

And if your just looking for mpg and not wanting to tow, raising your gears is a good choice. But your gonna miss those 4.10s once you try to tow somethin. I pulled a tractor the other day with my 6 cyl and 3.73s and was wishin I opted for 4.10s the entire trip. Not dissin ya, just sayin

18. OP
    helipilot

helipilot New Member

Insofar as I can gather...and from everyone here that has replied..(and thanks! ) ...it must be 28 spline.
    I won't be towing anything like a tractor so I'm looking forward to a 27% lower cruise RPM.
    At the most, I might be towing my HobieCat or snowmobile which would be about 900lbs (trailer included)
    And if I do run outta steam....well.....thats what 4th gear is for!

19. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

40mpg is hard to believe when my own brother owns a 2001 2.5 spd(same base motor as your old 2.3) and can barely pull 33mpg on the freeway.....and he drives like a grandpa. Heck 40mpg from ANY Ford Ranger is really, really, really hard to believe. Now, are we talking 40kpg or 40kpl??

You have LOTS of options in regards to larger tires for a 15". Heck, I've got 35" rubber on mine wearing 15's. lol. In no reason would you have to upgrade to a 16" wheel in order to fit something larger than a 225/70? 75? (225/15 is a rubberband). 235/75's look awesome on a 2wd....it's what I've got on one of my work truck Rangers.

True. But have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, 3150 is the 2011's sweet spot? Hear me out.....maybe, just maybe, she's still very tight and still very new and it'll take some time for her to be less high strung?

I know it may scare the daylights out of you, but a 4.0L SOHC's sweet spot is about 3300. She loooooooves RPM's at cruising speed. Very economical(if a 4.0 can ever be considered "economical") and has the get up and go in high gear if needed. I know directly it's apples to oranges, but you do have a vastly different engine compared to your '95 2.3L. Sweet spots change...especially when you start tossing in extra camshafts and extra sets of valves.

The only things in common with your 2.3L "Lima" '95 engine and your new 2.3L "Duratec" '11 engine, are number of cylinders and displacement.

Yes...this is true. I believe I said Ford axed(ie "got rid of") traction aides(limited slip) in order to make their Federally Mandated system work properly in model year 2010 and on.

This system could very well be the reason why your truck in incapable of having a new limited slip differential installed. That is, unless you disable this system. Like I said, I haven't much info and no one here has really posted anything in regards to it, but it is a concern that needs further research.

In conclusion, I'm hoping my replies are not taken as belittling you. I have many points and try to voice them as accurately to the best of my knowledge as possible. I still keep going back to "there's a reason there's no such thing as a 3.55 2.3L Duratec Ranger from the factory". Best of luck with whatever decision is made.

PS: Your screen name... what do you fly? I've got a few heli pilot friends scattered around these here lower 48.

20. OP
    helipilot

helipilot New Member

Quote: Originally Posted by helipilot
    Well...I currently run a '95 B2300 with 3.55's installed (factory) and it runs along great and has sufficient oomphh for anything I'm doing...and it returns nearly 40mpg (imp. gal)

40mpg is hard to believe when my own brother owns a 2001 2.5 spd(same base motor as your old 2.3) and can barely pull 33mpg on the freeway.....and he drives like a grandpa. Heck 40mpg from ANY Ford Ranger is really, really, really hard to believe. Now, are we talking 40kpg or 40kpl??

Those figures are accurate (although your mileage may vary...) and as I noted, we here in the Great White North use Imperial Gallons, which is 1 US Gal = 1.2 Imp Gal. This is a 20% difference. Add 20% to your bro's quoted mileage..and you get pretty close to 40mpg..

Quote: I'm already running 225/15's and going upsize in the tire dept, would require changing rims and tires to 16"...far more expensive then a gear set.

You have LOTS of options in regards to larger tires for a 15". Heck, I've got 35" rubber on mine wearing 15's. lol. In no reason would you have to upgrade to a 16" wheel in order to fit something larger than a 225/70? 75? (225/15 is a rubberband). 235/75's look awesome on a 2wd....it's what I've got on one of my work truck Rangers.

Well...as mentioned...new tires are min $800 plus install and balance. Add 15% tax ...add environmental fees you pay on top of the purchase, the hassle of storing 4 perfectly good factory tires....and changing tires is a $1000 option. Plus the hassle of 4 tires that I'll be tripping over in my shop for the next umpteen years.
    3.55 gears...$150 + new limited slip $273 + tax and a case of beer and a box of pizza for a mate of mine for use of his shop and press....
    The math all points to the gear change...$1000 vs $500 ....and I get a L.S.
    Pretty much a slam-dunk.

Quote: With the 3.55's ...I'll bring my 110kmh cruise RPM from 3150 to appx 2400...and if I need more torque....there's always 4th gear

True. But have you ever considered that maybe, just maybe, 3150 is the 2011's sweet spot? Hear me out.....maybe, just maybe, she's still very tight and still very new and it'll take some time for her to be less high strung?

I know it may scare the daylights out of you, but a 4.0L SOHC's sweet spot is about 3300. She loooooooves RPM's at cruising speed. Very economical(if a 4.0 can ever be considered "economical") and has the get up and go in high gear if needed. I know directly it's apples to oranges, but you do have a vastly different engine compared to your '95 2.3L. Sweet spots change...especially when you start tossing in extra camshafts and extra sets of valves.
    The only things in common with your 2.3L "Lima" '95 engine and your new 2.3L "Duratec" '11 engine, are number of cylinders and displacement

Your right about the Lima vs the new Duratec. It's 16valve motor and it does 'breath' better and it's torque curve is slightly higher then the lima series 2.3.
    But looking at the Q curve, shows it's pretty flat after 2300RPM..so cruising along at 3200 vs 2400 seems unnecessarily high.
    If you can obtain the power required at a lower RPM, then there are gains to be realized in terms of thermal efficiency, friction losses and wear.

The reason it was given 4.10 gears is simple. Ford needed a quick way to post the towing limits required and the 4.10 vs 3.55 will give a higher Transport Canada towing rating.

Quote: Oh...and there is no traction control on this vehicle...(and if there was...I'd be out there disabling it! )

Yes...this is true. I believe I said Ford axed(ie "got rid of") traction aides(limited slip) in order to make their Federally Mandated system work properly in model year 2010 and on.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ford.com/Ranger
    AdvanceTrac® with Roll Stability Control™ (RSC®) uses a combination of reduced engine power and selective wheel braking to help the driver maintain control.* Corner too quickly or swerve to avoid an object and RSC® will automatically use its gyroscopic sensors to measure vehicle roll and turning rates, then apply the proper response to help keep your vehicle under control.

This system could very well be the reason why your truck in incapable of having a new limited slip differential installed. That is, unless you disable this system. Like I said, I haven't much info and no one here has really posted anything in regards to it, but it is a concern that needs further research.

As I mentioned....this vehicle does NOT have traction control...and if it did...I'd be disabling it....
    And, yes, limited slip can be installed...as previously mentioned....$300

In conclusion, I'm hoping my replies are not taken as belittling you. I have many points and try to voice them as accurately to the best of my knowledge as possible. I still keep going back to "there's a reason there's no such thing as a 3.55 2.3L Duratec Ranger from the factory". Best of luck with whatever decision is made.

No..not at all, its just that many of the points you made...I already covered in previous postings

PS: Your screen name... what do you fly? I've got a few heli pilot friends scattered around these here lower 48.

I started flying 206's (both II,III's and L1, L2's) then 204's, 205's, and 212's (still my fav) as well of late, Sikorsky S76 ( A and C models)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  21. El Camino Man

El Camino Man Thank The Lord For BBFs!