2011 Ford Ranger brake lights won't work

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by carmen, Sep 24, 2017.

1. carmen

carmen New Member

A couple days ago someone pointed out to me that my truck's brake lights were not working. I tried to replace the bulbs, that didn't work. Then I thought, no shit, my emergency lights work and they use the same bulb, so it couldn't be the bulb. So then we replaced the fuse. That didn't fix it. Everything I've read says it must be the brake light switch. My husband, who doesn't work on cars but is very handy in general, replaced the brake light switch, using the Haynes manual. That didn't fix it. From what I've read, if the emergency blinkers work, since they use the same bulbs and wiring, it can't be an electrical problem. Then, I've read, if the fuse doesn't fix it, it has to be the brake light switch. That didn't fix it. What else could it be? Could it be he didn't install it right? He said it was very easy to do and used the manual, so I really doubt he messed it up. We really don't want to take it to the shop, our other car is there and has already racked up $750 worth of repairs and isn't fixed. So we can't afford to take this in. Please help!

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. mhoward

mhoward Member

It is quite possible you either received a defective switch (NOT unheard of), or the new switch is not adjusted properly. If you have cruise control, try setting the cruise speed (40+ mph) and then tap the brake. This should disengage the cruise. If it doesn't, you are looking at the brake switch (again).