2002 Ranger XLT w/airbag warning light

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by ToriiMan, Jul 9, 2009.

1. ToriiMan

ToriiMan New Member

I've seen this discussed elsewhere, when an airbag warning light flashes a code "27" multiple times, then goes to solid until ignition is turned off. The service guy at Ford dealer says "it's a generic airbag warning, but we can fix it for about $150." I've read this appears when the passenger airbag OFF indicator lamp is burned out, which is not the case for this vehicle. If this switch (passenger airbag off) is the problem (which he speculated was a possibility), is it a dealer-only replacement, or is the switch readily available to guys like me? Naturally, no information in the Haynes manual about airbag systems. Any information from somebody who's encountered this would be greatly appreciated, as the light is a real annoyance.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    ToriiMan

ToriiMan New Member

Airbag light resolved

This may help someone in the future. I resolved this "27" error by desoldering and replacing the LED lamp on the passenger airbag off switch. Even though the light was initially not burned out (though it may have been an intermittent failure), yesterday I removed the assembly to clean the electrical connections and inspect. When I reassembled, the light did not illuminate. I replaced the lamp with the Radio Shack 12V LED referenced in other places on this and other forums. Reassembled the switch and the airbag error light has gone out. All I can say is, if someone has an airbag indicator flashing code "27" on their dash, start with a $3 LED from Radio Shack. Sure beats the $150 I was quoted to have Ford service it.

Sometimes it's the simple things that work.

Gene R likes this.
  4. Jon

Jon Administrator

Thanks for the info! Sure beats $150 from the stealership.

5. 2001ranger

2001ranger New Member

When you say code 27 what exactly do you mean? I think I may have the same problem but not sure about the code thing.

6. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Try spraying the airbag sensor plugs under your seats with wd40. Seperate them, spray the inside and reattach them and it should turn off the airbag light. I had the same problem and it was an easy fix