1999 Ranger 4x4 5-speed tranny issue??

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Ed Grand, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Ed Grand

Ed Grand New Member

I have a 1999 Ranger XLT ext. cab 4x4 with a 5 speed manual. It has the V6 4.0 with a 4 inch suspension lift kit and 33x12.50 R15 mud terrain tires. When I start driving it in 1st, 2nd, or reverse and as soon as it's over 1200 rpm or under any load there's a loud clunk noise coming from the transmission or rear end area. Seems like something is binding up. It all started on a gravel road doing about 10 mph or so. Does not make the noise while rolling in neutral or in gear as long as the clutch pedal is pushed in. All started after my passenger side pulse vacuum hub broke off. Any ideas where to start investigating would be greatly appreciated as I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Is the clunk a one time thing, when driving in those conditions you described, or is it constant?
    I'd start by the tranny mount, u-joints, the carrier bearing and the suspension.

4. OP
    Ed Grand

Ed Grand New Member

Its constant from what I can tell. As soon as it does it I always push in the clutch so that it won't do it again. I also noticed today when I went to move it that it's way more constant and noticeable when I turn either right or left compared to driving straight.

5. DeanMk

DeanMk Member

Check for a broken CV boot on the front axle.

6. RangerAl

RangerAl Member

If the tranny, you can drain the tran fluid and see if there is any large metal coming out of the drain hole. If nothing, just fill with quality ATF (2.8qt). Another thing you can check while under the truck is the drive line to the front axle. The boot on these thing tend to tear and lost all the grease to the bearing at the transfer case. Pretty ez to rebuild with kit about $30 or new axle for about $130 on Ebay.