04 swap questions

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by Redneck_ranger, Apr 10, 2012.

1. So I found an 04 Ranger ( http://scranton.craigslist.org/cto/2905220065.html) that's being sold and I was going to ask the guy if he would be willing to sell just the front end of the truck for an 04 swap (if there's no damage of course). My question is, would the front bumper from my current setup still work with the front end? And also this is more aimed towards Clinton since he just did it, should I keep my hood and have it trimmed? Or get the one that's on the truck? How much would I be looking at to have it professionally trimmed? Thanks guys. :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

Trimming the hood cost me 300.00, but if you get a different color hood, to strip and paint it would be more. Your bumper will work with the front end. I do have that 04 bumper I can sell you cheap if you want it. See if the guy will sell it then go from there

4. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

I personally think he wants too much for the entire truck... I was actually thinking of getting it just as a street beater for when gas skyrockets. And I'm going to ask him if he will. But it's been for sale for a long time so I'm going to wait until I get everything all squared away with my truck first and get the money raised. As for the hood paint, my buddy can paint it for cheap. Him and his dad just repainted one of their cars and it came out great. So that's my method for that. What's your opinion on it man? Would you say go for it or just stick to the way my truck is?

5. Hooligan

Hooligan Rangerholic!!

I think you should stick to what you have and make sure its mechanically sound first, Otherwise you will have a nice looking truck sitting curbside that doesnt run and I'll be hocking parts off it.

6. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

lol That's what I figured. I do eventually want to do the 04 swap after I get the tcase fixed, hopefully this summer it will happen. The tcase, I'm waiting until I can get a couple more bucks up for you. The deal with the trailer hitch fell through and the new belt and tensioner ran me $80. So yeah, sorry to keep you waiting man.

7. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Damn! I wish that were local to me.....I'd nab it and part the birch out!

Or swap the trans and make me my project: econoSLAM a reality again. Hopefully it's a manual.

If the hood is a different color, which it is, but it's in good shape, no stripping is needed. Just a scuff and shoot. It gets spendy when blending into fenders for a perfect blend. Luckily when my time comes for a full repaint, I got a guy. On ze cheapish.

My opinion on your testing the waters? Don't. You're way too in and out when it comes to that truck. Don't bother.

8. OP
    Redneck_ranger

Redneck_ranger Banned

What do you mean? Too much spent into the truck? If so, the way I figure it now is that I'm never going to sell it since I put nearly double what I'd realistically sell it for so why not put into it to make it the way I want it? Just the way I'm thinking though. And that's what I was thinking... Buy the truck for parts and once I'm done with it, just sell the parts off of it and be happy.