03 Headlight clearance for HID Projectors

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Shawn, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Anyone know the distance from the inner bulb flange to the lens on a 01 and up head light? I am getting ready to do HID's and I need to know how much room I have. I am considering some 3" projectors, but I think I will need 10mm more space than I have.

Thanks ​

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Well, I bent a coat hanger and did my best to measure the inside dimensions of 2001 and up headlights. I got a distance of 102mm from the inner bulb flange to the lens. That's the maximum room that we have for a projector(without cutting).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  4. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Hi Shawn.

Have you chosen projectors yet? I HIGHLY suggest checking out the folks over at TheRetrofitSource.

The room you've measured, not one quality projector would fit.

I've had my retrofits in for about 2 years now and they've been flawless. Running 5Five 50w ballasts and Phillips 85122+ bulbs. I used the D2S projectors from TheRetrofitSource and picked them up cheap without a warranty because they were shop experiments with 3" lenses (closeout deal). My original purchase from them was the FX-R 1.1 Stage III kit, but I ran into major room issues in the Ranger's "not-deep-at-all" housings. Combine that with the shear size of the projector and the limited options for shrouds that offer full projector housing coverage, I nixed the FX-R. Later picked up the proven D2S projector in '01+ Rangers, but with the 3" clear glass lense.

Ran into depth issues. See the standard 2.5" D2S is a near bolt-in for 01+ Ranger lamps. But the added diameter of the 3" lense and in-turn the added height of the lense, forced me to make large holes with the Dremel tool to set the projector farther back into the housing. I was dealing with ALL axis....up/down, left/right, rotation. Made a jig using my header panel on a sawhorse positioned 25' away from my garage door. Got the housings without projectors fitting in the header panel properly, did one projo at a time lined up to my tape marks on the wall, glued in using JB Weld Stik in a couple spots. Finished it all off with JB Weld industrial size standard stuff (not the quick set stuff). I did have to bend a little bit of the core support because of how much was sticking out of the back.

Or just read this: Get TheRetrofitSource's D2S projectors, ream out the hole, bolt 'em in, set rotation, JB Weld. D2S projos are proven dozens time over to fit well in '01+ Ranger housings. The problem with Ranger projector retrofitting is the lack of depth in the lamp housing. You can make anything fit if you're willing to cut your radiator core support. Also keep in mind shroud options. I wanted something factory looking and larger to cover the projector entirety.

Don't skimp on what projectors you run...I dismiss the eBay specials sometimes referred to G1/G3/G5 and what not. They're junk compared to RetrofitSource parts.

Hopefully this isn't too much info. I've always tried to kill multiple birds with a single stone. Plus I wanted to give you an idea on my experience with 3" lenses.

5. Fx4wannabe01

Fx4wannabe01 New Member

Jig....aka header panel on saw horses...square to shop door, 25'...
    [​IMG]

D2S 3". Notice the depth.
    [​IMG]

Hole rough cut to my desired depth while also considering shroud fitment... Partially prepped for paint before projector gluing...
    [​IMG]

Jig setting up projector. Note the overall length of the projector. The red and black connector is the D2S bulb adaptor....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"the wall of constants"...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rotation off slightly. Close enough for a first retro.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. OP
    Shawn

Shawn Cranky old man

Thanks for the detailed response. I am dealing with Adam at the retrofit source.
    According to their website, the 2.5" D2S needs 100mm to fit. That seems to be exactly what you are saying. He told me the 3.0" D2S needs 125mm to fit.
    I really want the 3.0" for the same reasons you did. I also want large shrouds. I did find some shrouds even larger than you used on fleabay.
    I am trying to make a decision right now whether I will give in and use the 2.5" or do all the cutting and go for what I really want, the 3.0".
    Do you have any photos of the rear of the housing with the 3.0" installed?

So you moved them back farther than needed to fit the shrouds?

Thanks again

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013