02 ranger rear spring center bolt question....

Discussion in '1998 - 2011 Ford Ranger' started by 02RGRSP, Mar 25, 2012.

1. 02RGRSP

02RGRSP New Member

I have a 2002 ranger 4x4 and I was trying to take the rear spring apart to replace a broken leaf. The U bolts came off no problem but as you would expect the spring center bolt was pretty well stuck and probably going to brake off. After I got the U bolts off I noticed that the spacer between the spring and the axle was maybe connected to the spring, as in maybe the center bolt and spacer are a spacer with a stud as the center bolt ?
    Could this be the case ?
    Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Ranger Forum Sign Up!

Join RangerForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Ranger fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Ranger Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Ford, and have a great time with other Ranger fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Ford you'll find that Ranger Forum is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join RnagerForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

First off, no matter how easy the u-bolts came off, do NOT reuse them. When installed properly, the torque applied to them makes them stretch. They will loosen thier way up again or break altogether if you reinstall them

As for the center bolt, Cut the nut off the top (use 2 c-clamps to hold the leaf pack together) and pound it out. Go to the nearest auto parts store and buy a 3/8"x4" center bolt.

As for the "block" that is the factory bumpstop. That is a seperate piece altogether.

4. OP
    02RGRSP

02RGRSP New Member

Great. So the Block is just stuck to the spring and will come off with maybe a couple gentle hits with a hammer, and then it's just a matter of replacing parts. Also using clamps to hold the spring together on disassembly and reassembly.
    New leaf, U bolts & Center bolt.

Thanks !!

5. Brinker88

Brinker88 Black sheep o' the family

:thumbsup: No problem!